Old 28-05-2004, 04:05 AM
tbell

Default Attn chemistry buffs: alcohol

On Wed, 26 May 2004 23:12:14 -0700, Reka wrote
(in article ):

"Rob Halgren" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Reka wrote:

Well,actually, my pharmacist is the first one I asked, and he said he

can't
get it. There are however quite a few things you can't get here that you
can in the States. Matter of culture, I suppose. :-) Did see DONUTS at

the
autostrada rest stop this year. Can't stop unhealthy, good food from
traveling across borders, I guess.

So what do you use for cleaning scapes and cuts? Or for an
injection site? Here a nurse (doctors don't do anything) will wipe down
your arm with a little isopropyl alcohol before giving a shot, and they
used to soak metallic instruments in it (now they autoclave everything -
can't autoclave your arm).

Well, the label on the stuff I use for the kids says "benzalconio cloruro",
if that rings a bell. Benzalcone chloride?

In the US that's Zephiran, or benzalkonium chloride, Reka, a quaternary
ammonium compound which is a microbicide similar to Physan, but not
alcoholic. If you can't find isopropanol, I'd vote for cheap vodka, which is
slightly watered down ethanol.
Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
To reply by e-mail, remove APPENDIX