Old 28-05-2004, 06:04 AM
len gardener

Default honey warning

remember as a kid the old man had a couple dozen hives and he had this
friend who had just as many, they had the equipment to extract honey
and the 4 gallon tins to put it in, they used to sell it privately,
and we got or should i say had to eat heaps of it. most of the time
before we got to the end of one batch the honey would go sugary in the
tins, just what i imagined natural honey must do.

the big company brand honeys don't crystalize anymore, not that i've
noticed anyway, way back then the old man and his mate used to comment
on how packers would add water and liquid glucose & sugar, the thing
is the big boys aren't exactly going to say what goes into their
blends, but people who worked in the industry told me that i would be
surprised to see what they do put in it.

but all i know is there is no comparison with what comes straight out
of the hive, even if it does go candy before it's finished.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening