Old 28-05-2004, 08:02 AM
Loki

Default Clueless indoor herb-gardener... help!

il Fri, 28 May 2004 04:33:28 +0000 (UTC),
(Jake Wildstrom) ha scritto:

Thanks to all who responded. The comment that they're probably getting
insufficient light seems particularly to the point: I guess I'll have
to get some supplemental lighting in (I do not, alas, have a
south-facing window in the apartment). I'm a bit worried about the
contradictory messages with respect to fertilizer: what signs other
than flavorlessness can I use to determine if I'm over- or
under-feeding them?

If it was a clay pot, unglazed. you could tell it was too much
fertilizer by all the salts that would congregate on its surface. I
guess one thing we don't know is, is your water hard or soft?

If you follow the instructions on your packet your fertilizer should
be ok, but leave it off for a few weeks if you think you've overdone
it. The leaves can go yellow from lack of nitrogen, they can also
brown at the edges.

Or as my "The houseplant expert" books says: "If edges are yellow or
brown, the possible causes are many and varied - overwatering,
underwatering, too little light, too much sun, too little heat, too
much heat, overfeeding, dry air or draughts." (!!!)

heheh good luck!

--
Cheers,