Old 28-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default What are you growing this year?

simy1 said:

(Pat Kiewicz) wrote in message

news:F-ednRTLoZFYIijdRVn-hw@comc
ast.com...

Paste tomatoes (caged)

did you put them out already? I did ten days ago, in my new full full
sun garden (sunrise to one hour before sunset). I guessed the
continuing wet weather would help with both temperature and moisture
(it sure helped with moisture, and so far it has not gone below 48F).

Yes, but my peppers and eggplants are still inside under the light. I had
started weaning them outside last week, but mostly it's been cool and
cloudy.

Also, what do you do with all those toms and veggies in general? I am
already giving away lettuce to anyone who is willing to eat it, and I
know I will be doing the same in august with tomatoes, and I only have
30 plants.

The corn we eat. I grow only the SE types, which are sweet, 'corn-y' and TENDER,
unlike the crunchy (only) supersweet (sh2) types that seem to have flooded the
markets. I might have a meal of sweetcorn, tomato and pepper salad, and yogurt.

The peppers we eat and freeze (and give some away). I also lose some most
years to the !#!@! pepper maggots.

The extra tomatoes (I only have 16 plants total) are dried, or processed
into concentrated puree (chunked and frozen after I have enough puree).
I give away some of the salad tomatoes. (But one of my best friends HATES fresh
tomatoes! Weird!) 8^)

The winter squash I cook, puree and freeze. (LOVE multigrain 'pumpkin' waffles!)

The onions and garlic I use (though I lose some of the onions in storage due
to less than optimal conditions). We eat the leeks. (I loved leeks baked with
butter.)

Sometimes I end up giving away lettuce. Oftentimes I give away cukes.
Generally I pick the summer when squash really, really small which keeps it
under control. Else we have (whole wheat) zucchini bread.

Gave up growing melons, as they seemed to inevitably get bacterial wilt.
(The cukes are seedless, grown in a screened in box so they are safe from
the beetles that carry the wilt.)

(attributed to Don Marti)