Old 28-05-2004, 01:07 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default neon red mites, what are they?

said:

We have a fish pond our back yard, it's outlined with flat stones. On
these stones are tiny, neon orange/red bugs. They look like very tiny
mites. It appears that they only hang out by the fish pond, and they
Wifey swears they bite.

If the first pair of legs is long, looking almost like antennae, you have
clover mites. I've noticed that if you let them wander around on your
skin they actually seem to 'bite' even though all the extension service
pages say they don't. (This only happens on really soft, tender areas
and may be more of a prickle than a real bite.)

Not worth getting big-gun insecticides out for them, which wouldn't be good
for the fish anyway. You could vacuum them up or wash them into the pond.

I see them wandering about occasionally while I'm weeding in the garden.
They are large for a mite and (at least around here) eye-poppingly bright red.

--
Pat K. ('someplace.net' is comcast)

(attributed to Don Marti)