Old 28-05-2004, 06:02 PM
Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat

Default Eaten sunflower seedlings !

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
. 240.23...
"Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat" wrote in
:

Something has eaten the nice first two (and only) leaves off my three
sunflower seedlings (about two inches tall). Just the leaves, nowt
else. Another one, which came on earlier, which is about four inches
tall, has not been touche

If it were my garden I'd say slugs - in fact probaly just one slug that's
hanging about somewhere close at hand - look under pots and check in the
late evening when they come out to munch.

They will often eat small seedlings first - can't be bothered to climb up
the taller ones - or eat leaves but leave tough stem.

But be wary, because once they've eaten the little ones, they usually
decide to go on to the taller ones. :-(

I think I'll put some beer out to be on the safe side.

I used to suffer from them getting in the house (though I can't imagine
where they got in but that's slugs for you) but so far I've not seen one in
the garden this year. I've got alot of birds around (lots of trees over the
back fence, bushes, that sort of stuff, where birdies can set up home) and
I've seen a few thrushes eating the few snails I get down the other end of
the garden so maybe that's why. The odd thing is nothing else has been
touched, including some very low growing seedings right nearby. Makes me
wonder why they don't want those as well.

Rachael