Old 28-05-2004, 07:06 PM
Heather

Default String Algae *cure*

Hi Happy 'Cam'per

Thank you for solving the mystery! We don't have a lot of direct sunlight
on our stream but always are fighting string algae. In the pond too but not
as bad. Nitrates are not even showing on the tests but still the string
algae. We have well water and there is a high concentration of iron in the
water. Thank you for telling us about that relationship.

I don't have Koi but I'll try the Koi clay stuff if I can find it and see if
that helps.

Heather

"Happy'Cam'per" wrote in message
Hi Muffin

JFYI the reason you have string algae in the first place is probably from
suspended nutrients in the water column, more than likely elevated Iron
levels, hence the string algae. The reason Koi clay helps to combat string
algae is because the clay will bind the iron! The iron has probably come
from water runoff or from pot plant/garden soil. Next time you plant some
more pots in your pond put a layer of clay at the bottom, this will

further
help to reduce suspended iron and your plants will go gangbusters for it.
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

"*muffin*" wrote in message
I am posting this in case someone does not know of this.
If I had not seem it myslef,, I'd still be skeptical, (from reading on

other
groups)

you use Koi Clay!!

yesterday I noticed I had hundreds of strands of this stuff growing, (

there
were only a couple LONG pieces last week, but I ignored them), so I

figured
I better do 'something'.
I put in Koi Clay last night & *WOW* it has all dissapeared! I am

stunned!!
(other ponders say it takes several days to get rid of it)

it was suggested for 2 Tablespoons per thousand gal. ( I only put in 1

T.
per thousand) and have read different directions as to every day or

every
other day.

Koi Clay is supposed to be very beneficial for your pond ( besides the
Koi).

(I bought mine last year , but it was packed away all winter, ebay is a

good
source, Calcium Bentonite)