Old 28-05-2004, 07:14 PM
Brian

Default Name of Plant?

"Tracey" wrote in message

"Brian" wrote in message
This seems even more likely to be Verbascum. Would be nice to hear

when
you have verification. I think you will find a tall 'spire' of rather
insignificant yellow flowers eventually.
Best Wishes Brian..

Well, you were spot on, Brian! Had a look at some Verbascum pictures and
what we have growing in the allotment appears to be Verbascum olympicum.

snippet of information I came across whilst looking was that here in

England
the very poor used to put the thick leaves of Verbascum into their shoes

for
warmth and that it is supposedly so that if fish eat the seeds of the

plant
they become stupified, so much so that they can be caught by hand!

Thanks again for your help.

Tracey

Many thanks for responding Tracey. As a youth I could have done with a
few of those seeds!!
I proposed 43 times before she agreed~~but then as she said " Only the
last proposal involved marriage"!!
Regards Brian 'flayb' to respond.