Old 28-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Jim Voege

Default How long does it take compost to decompose?

"Ignoramus14990" wrote in message
In article ptvtc.1166$IB.994@attbi_s04, Bob wrote:

"Ignoramus29645" wrote in
message ...
Composition: dry brown leaves, green grass all mixed with

chicken shit
and a bit of sod. The pile is about 4x4 feet wide and 2 feet
tall. Would it be realistic to expect it to rot by the next

year?

I will be adding more stuff as this year goes on, and would

like to
know if at some point I should stop adding to the current pile

and
start a new one, to have one pile ready to top dress the lawn

and add
to the garden. The pile is located in shade in the bushes (to

be out
of sight).

I keep adding to a pile until it is full. I then start on the
next. When I need compost, I remove the top, uncomposted material
and add it to the second pile. Then I take the compost. Continue
adding to the second pile till it is full, then repeat the
process.

What do you mean by "full"???

They say that 3' X 3' X 3' is ideal. Personally I don't pay much attention.
My compost pile, too, is in shade and therefore composting is slower. So I
work on the basis that this year's compost will be available for next year.
I have configured my composter (made out of stick-in-the-ground wire
fencing) as 2 bays -- last year's stuff and this years. I've been saving
last year's for some planting I still have to do but I'll use it all and
that will give me 2 bays this year. The size of my bays is larger than
recommended. If I'm energetic (rarely) I turn it about every two weeks --
nasty job but it does speed up the process as does adding spring lawn
fertilizer (for the nitrogen) if your proportion of fall leaves is too high.
I think the recommended ratio (somebody can correct me here) is about 2/3rds
brown material (carbon) to 1/3 green (nitrogen).

The bottom line in answer to the question you last asked, is there is no
such thing as "full" provided you are prepared to turn) mix) the pile
regularly. Do that and basically your pile can be as large as you want.

Jim