Old 28-05-2004, 09:06 PM
madgardener

Default P. Somniferum

I was offered "black" poppies by Swani in New Zealand but they weren't
viable.........maybe next time (my plot awaits yer shipments (waiting in
eager anticipation)
maddie
"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

"madgardener" wrote in message
news
papaver Somniferum's are identified by their lettice like silvery
blue/green color, and single, double or shaggy "peony" like flowers.

Once
they fall from the pods, they need stratification thru winter and will
come up by the hundreds. Beautiful flowers. All sorts of shades of
reds, pinks, white, no blues or purples,

Ah, but there ARE purples - a pale lavender form is very common - most of
the seedlings that spring up in my garden seem to be this pale mauve

shade.
There is also a named form, 'Lauren's Grape', developed by noted Colorado
plantswoman Lauren Springer, and another deep burgundy-maroon form

sometmes
labled as 'black' or sold under the name 'Midnight'.

pam - gardengal