Old 29-05-2004, 04:10 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Moving pH

What do y'all use to move your pH up? Down? I am at a bit high, and want to
try and bring it down a bit. I am beginning to wonder if my high pH is
helping my algae soup.

BV.

Lately I feel like the pH up and down guru, what with dealing with my lily
pond this spring. Only took 2 doses though to get it down to where the
plants are happy and the algae isn't, and the taddies, and 4 baby goldfish,
lived thru my treatments.

My directions below are directed at 1,000 gallons so adjust accordingly.

1st find out your KH. If needed, bring it up 150-200 ppm with baking soda.
If your pH is above 8.4 it won't harm anything if you need to add a couple
of pounds or more.

In my case, my KH ppm was ~90 and 2 cups brought it to a little over 180. I
then took 2 cups of muriatic acid adding it to 30 gallons of dechlorinated
water in a tub along side the pond. With a small diameter syphon hose I
added it in over my submerged pump that feeds a filter at the opposite end
so I was basically treating both ends at the same time. As it was siphoning
out I also added fresh water (with more dechlor) to the tub diluting it
even more.

Do recheck your KH after 24 hours and add a little bit of baking soda if
needed, to keep the pH balanced, shoot for 90 to 100 ppm.

I only had to do this treatment twice and it's holding now. YMMV, ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a