Old 29-05-2004, 09:02 AM
Katra

Default Dog feces in compost?

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Brigitte J. wrote:
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is dog poop OK in the compost bin?

Thanks,
Brigitte

Sure, in small amounts in a hot bin or an active worm pile.

I wouldn't put large amounts in a cold compost pile or directly in a
vegetable garden.

I can't cite a reference, but I've read in several places that dog and
cat waste can carry disease and should not be used in a garden. But it
won't last very long in a working compost bin (even human waste can be
used in a garden if it's from a properly designed composting toilet.)

Bob

Hot composting is the key...
Predator poop is going to be higher in nitrogen than herbivore poop,
so can be useful but it really needs to be completely composted to kill
possible pathogenic bacteria.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...