Old 29-05-2004, 04:04 PM
John DeGood

Default Several words to the wise

dd wrote:
I'll never buy an auction plant again unless I know who grew it!

Orchid society auction purchases provide very revealing insight into the
growing skill and care of one's fellow members. My society's auction
was earlier this month:

- The plants donated by several of our best members were in fresh,
quality fir bark mix and so well-grown that I am still in awe of their
condition. I feel almost unworthy to have them in my collection! :-)

- Other members donated plants in badly decomposed bark mix with roots
in advanced stages of decay. They will require a lot of TLC to resuscitate.

- The remainder fell somewhere between these extremes.

One paph that I purchased appeared to be in fresh bark mix. It turned
out to be the one most in need of repotting: a thin veneer of fresh
bark had been added to hide the horribly decomposed gunk in which the
roots were actually submerged.

John