Old 29-05-2004, 05:08 PM
Pam - gardengal

Default climbing rose on cedar hedges?

"Alex Ng" wrote in message
Hi,

Got an idea. The cedar hedges that seperate b/w my neighbor's property
are getting too boring. So, I thought about buying climbing rose that
will climb onto the cedar hedge to give it some colour. But when I look
at the climbing rose bushes, the rose branches are actually quite thick
and I wonder whether it will collape the cedar hedges down.

So, is climbing rose on cedar hedge a bad idea?

Provided it gets enough sun and does not compete with the cedars' roots for
water and nutrients, I think it's a great idea. HT climbers are fussy
plants, so you might want to consider an older rose culitivar or a species.
One of the best rose combinations I've seen was a Rosa glauca growing into
and up a Lawson cypress. The blue-gray with reddish tones of the rose's
foliage were a great contrast against the deep blue green of the cypress.
This species also offers smallish, single magenta flowers in late spring
(sinlge bloom time, tho) and bright orange fall hips. This is a very
durable, hardy and disease-free rose species and not overly rampant in its
growth habit.

pam - gardengal