Old 29-05-2004, 07:02 PM
David Ross

Default Grape Seedlings

Pat Keith wrote:

I have some volunteer grapes starting from a pile of seed I dumped last
fall. Are they worth saving?

This depends on the variety of the grape. If the seeds were from
Concord, Catawba, or other American varieties, they can grow quite
well. If they were from a European variety, they are highly
susceptable to a root disease that will eventually kill the plant.
European grapes are grafted onto American rootstock, even in
Europe.

Note that you might not get exactly the same fruit as the parent.
I don't know if grapes bread true from seed. The usual method of
propagation of American grapes is through cuttings and of European
grapes is through grafting onto rooted American cuttings.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

complies with Web standards. See http://www.mozilla.org/.