Old 29-05-2004, 09:03 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Mare'- tail.

In article ,
Brian wrote:

I am totally sure that if she had used Latin then none would have
responded.

I'm not. There are at least a dozen regular posters on this group
who are happy with botanical Latin, and it is possible that the
majority are.

Even when she gave the only common name for Hippuris we all jumped to the
wrong conclusion. Mare's-tail is always in the index of Wild Flowers whereas
the Latin is separate. Mare's tail was established as the name for this
marsh plant in 1762. No other variant has been recorded by OED or RHS.

Sigh. It is the only common name for Hippuris, but it is MORE OFTEN
used for Equisetum. Live with it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.