Old 29-05-2004, 11:02 PM
gregpresley

Default climbing rose on cedar hedges?

I'm not sure what zone Alex Ng is in, but in the south, Cherokee Rose would
grow 75 feet or more up into pine trees etc. Pretty white blossoms in
spring - but only one bloom time. Devlish thorns however. In spite of its
name, it's a native of China, escaped into the wilds in the southeast.
"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 May 2004 14:32:35 -0400, (Alex
Ng) wrote:

Hi,

Got an idea. The cedar hedges that seperate b/w my neighbor's property
are getting too boring. So, I thought about buying climbing rose that
will climb onto the cedar hedge to give it some colour. But when I look
at the climbing rose bushes, the rose branches are actually quite thick
and I wonder whether it will collape the cedar hedges down.

So, is climbing rose on cedar hedge a bad idea?

Thx

Rose canes do not grab onto anything and "climb." To grow well,
most roses need a lot of maintenance and lots of sun. Honey suckle
might be a better idea, but personally I can't see the improvement of
a cedar hedge.