Old 29-05-2004, 11:11 PM
Chris Hogg

Default hardy purple flowering plants

On Fri, 28 May 2004 19:02:32 GMT, Angela
wrote:

Hello!

My name is Angela and I'm a newbie to this forum & a newbie to
gardening. I live in a flat in Brighton, Sussex and would like to
start some planter boxes. There is a small outjut that receives a lot
of afternoon and evening sun as it has a westerly aspect. I would
really like to put some purple flowering plants here. They would have
to be quite hardy as the outjut is unprotected and very exposed. They
would have to withstand the high winds on the coast, the pollution from
the busy main road which is less than 50m away, and the salty air from
the sea which is about 100m away. Hmmm...maybe this isn't possible?!
Does anyone know of any such amazing purple flowering plants that could
withstand these conditions?!

Thanks,

Angela.

Many of the smaller Hebes are good evergreen seaside shrubs and would
cope well with the salty winds. There are several types with purple
flowers, such as Carl Teschner, Waikiki, Wiri Splash or Wiri Image.
Purple Osteospermums (African daisies) also cope well with seaside
conditions, as do dwarf lavenders e.g Lavendula Hidcote.

They all like a free-draining, gritty soil. Plant them in John Innes
No.2 or No.3 compost, but add an extra 1 part grit to 3 parts compost.

--
Chris