Old 29-05-2004, 11:13 PM
tuin man

Default Beeb Chelsea coverage

"Stan The Man" wrote in message
In article , Janet
Baraclough.. wrote:

The message
from "Nick Wagg" contains these words:

"Robert" wrote in message
Sue wrote:

...but I ask myself is Chelsea for real gardeners?

Chelsea is to gardeners as fashion shows are to those who
wear clothes.

Sorry, don't agree. The show itself is packed with fascinating plants,
ideas, exhibits and information .It's only the TV coverage, which fails
to address the needs and interests of gardeners.

That would be because the BBC audience for its Chelsea programmes
comprises a majority who are not keen gardeners. The BBC has decided to
build its audience rather than serve the needs of keen gardeners. Hence
the daytime presenter was Jenny Bond for whom this may have been her
first ever visit to Chelsea. I thought she was excellent: very
coherent, very engaging, very professional - the very kind of
professional presenting that the show has lacked in the past. Last
year's Chelsea programmes were a technical disaster. Much better this
year and it seemed to me that even Charlie Dimmock has finally had some
TV tuition. It will be better still when the Beeb finally figures out
that the incomprehensible bumbling, mumbling Diarmuid Gavin isn't cut
out for any kind of TV work.

Yes, in spiite of being Irish myself I found a few occassions when I wished
more sub titles were used to identify plants.
All it takes is a sudden sweep of a helicopter, or growing drone of a plane
at just the wrong time to botch things up.
For the most part I had no problem with Diarmuid's elecution, but then, at
other times, especially with outside interference, when, as if it was "take
23", he did seem sufficiently self consious as to induce mumbling.... just
like last year and the year before.

patrick
Simon