Old 30-05-2004, 12:11 AM
Sacha

Default sorrel seedlings collapsing

On 29/5/04 11:21 pm, in article , "Deborah P."
wrote:

Dear All,
I planted some sorrel seed which sprouted practically under my eyes but
has now started to wilt and die and I can't see a reason for this - no
pests, lots of moisture, not too much direct sunlight. Can any of you
help? I am a newbie to this group and don't (sigh) have a garden and so
am restricted to planting in window boxes and (largish)pots in a
communal garden.

Deborah

I can hardly bear to say this but could it be too much moisture? Lots to
one huge pot which might hold water too long given the size of the plant
roots? Pots allowed to drain right out? Not too much water, because (most)
herbs don't like to be too wet?
Do you know which you have? Having never grown Sorrel, I Googled and found
this:
---Cultivation---Sorrel of two kinds is cultivated, R. acetosa, or Garden
Sorrel, and R. scrutatus, or French Sorrel. Garden Sorrel likes a damp
situation, French Sorrel a dry soil and an open situation.
http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/s/sorcom64.html
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk