Old 30-05-2004, 06:02 AM
'enry VIII

Default Japanese chestnut ID

This might help you:
http://www.nb.net/~javadoug/amch/Che...omparison.html

'enry VIII

"Retiredff" wrote in message
link.net...
After getting confirmation from the forester who works with our extension
service that a tree in the woods in front of my house is not an American
Chestnut, we are down to two choices. Those are 1) Allegheny Chinkapin
(castanea pumila) or 2) Japanese Chestnut (Castanea crenata???). Right
now,
we are leaning towards the Allegheny Chinkapin, based on description.

Their reference materials showed no pictures of the female flowers from
the
Japanese Chestnut, nor have I had any luck finding them on the web.

So, my question is this. Does anyone have any picture that shows the
female
flower of the Japanese Chestnut? Heck, even a detailed description might
help.

Thanks,
Larry