Old 30-05-2004, 10:12 AM
martin

Default Beeb Chelsea coverage

On Sat, 29 May 2004 23:33:39 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 29/5/04 11:00 pm, in article ,
"Paul Corfield" wrote:

snip

I'm just trying to understand why opinions divide so sharply over things
that, to me, are not *that* important.

I think you may well remain puzzled but I'll take the plunge and say that I
think most 'real gardeners' as defined by urg, are more interested in plants
FIRST, rather than in decking, stainless steel fins, or coloured balls,
patios, drinks trolleys, lights or barbecues, bits of rope, worter feechas,
stone paving and so on - and on.

Yes!

For me, at least, 'real gardening' is the planting of plants in appropriate
places and some major gambles; blocks of colour or no definition at all,
just happy or unhappy accidents etc.

Yes!

Perhaps it's summed up by plants first, hard landscaping second. E.g. "I
want to grow x, y and z which like to trail down a wall and have sharply
drained ground", so the plants create the need for the wall or others need a
bog garden, or fence or trellis or pergola.
Plants first. Not the other way round - perhaps?

Yes!