Old 30-05-2004, 11:02 AM
Janice

Default climbing rose on cedar hedges?

On Fri, 28 May 2004 14:32:35 -0400, (Alex
Ng) wrote:

Hi,

Got an idea. The cedar hedges that seperate b/w my neighbor's property
are getting too boring. So, I thought about buying climbing rose that
will climb onto the cedar hedge to give it some colour. But when I look
at the climbing rose bushes, the rose branches are actually quite thick
and I wonder whether it will collape the cedar hedges down.

So, is climbing rose on cedar hedge a bad idea?

Thx

I'd think they'd be too heavy and at least mash and deform the foliage
on the hedges, and since they don't really have any means of attaching
themselves, they'd get blown down in wind, and just pull themselves
down from their own weight and would prove stickery whenever anyone
had to do any kind of maintenance with either the roses or hedge.

Try clematis .. they're kind of intended for scrambling on/through
hedges. and there are all kinds of clematis you could acquire, start
them through cuttings from friends, or buy a new one or more each year
to have a wild display all year long and you'd have new blooms to
anticipate every year ;-)

Janice