Old 30-05-2004, 11:15 AM
David Gibson

Default Grass Seed Query Re Germination & Quality

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can let me know if there are any great degrees in
the germination rate of various off the shelf grass seed types.

I ask as I have recently attempted to improve my moderate looking
lawn. In the shady areas I sowed "Wolf Grass Seed for Shady & Normal"
areas and in the other patchy areas of the lawn I sowed some B&Q grass
seed without any Rye Grass in the mixture. After watering I then
covered the areas with clear plastic sheeting & left for a week.

The Wolf seed in the more shady area has started to germinate & I have
blades of grass about one to two inches long. In the area where I
sowed the B&Q seed there is no germination at all.

Am I expecting the B&Q seed to germinate too quickly or is it just
duff seed.

Lastly, if I need to further sow seed can anyone recommend a good
supplier of reasonable value and quality seed as I have quite a large
area to sort out.

Regards