Old 30-05-2004, 12:03 PM
Frogleg

Default Useless Tomato Seedlings?

On Fri, 28 May 2004 17:25:17 -0400, David Kotschessa
wrote:

Before I had some idea what I was doing I started some cherry tomato seeds
indoors, in egg cartons. They all sprouted and are all growing now. In
the meantime I bought some whole plants which I have planted in my garden,
knowing that I won't be getting much out of the seedlings. Is there anyway
I can get any use out of them so I can plant them next year? Is it
possible to keep them alive, maybe grow them indoors with enough lighting?
Or should I just can the project and wait until next year. Would hate to
get rid of all those little baby tomato plants!

No, there's little point in trying to nurse your tomato plants indoors
for a year. But there's no reason not to plant them outdoors now, if
you have a reasonably long growing season.

Recommendations for growing tomatoes from seed usually say "start
inside 6-8 weeks before last frost date." This means sowing the seeds
and nurturing the small plants indoors or in a greenhouse so they will
be a healthy size (8" or more) for 'setting out' when it's warm
enough.