Old 30-05-2004, 01:36 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default What would you do?

The message
from "StanDan" contains these words:

Repairing the wall was my first idea but having had 5/6 builders in, they
all quote me over £1500 because if the wall is taken away to be replaced the
top terrace is likely to collapse altogether! They have suggested building a
second wall immediately infront of the broken one but the garden is small
and I really can't justify spending £1500 on something so small at the
moment.

Five-sixths of a builder seems to me to be a generous assessment......

Lane sand has been recomended because of the thick clay and apparently this
wil assist with drainage.

Down as far as the clay - then to where?

Do ivies etc gow better donwards than upwards? I could do this, immediately
at the front of the upper level I have a row a strawberries which are
fantastic but I could foregor a couple of these for the ivies!

Some do. If the wall is sufficiently damaged, you could grow white
allyssum, lobelia etc (from seed) in the cracks - also thrift and
saxifrages, small pinks, Veronica fruticans, Veronica serpyllifolia or
other creeping varieties, Kikxia elantine & K. spuria, Cymbalaria
muralis ((Ivy-leaved toadflax).

Those shouldn't contribute to any further damage.

Periwinkles will hang nicely too.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/