Old 30-05-2004, 04:02 PM
David J Bockman

Default Japanese chestnut ID

Try http://www.mindspring.com/~psisco/www/overframe3.html

http://www.mindspring.com/~psisco/www/5species.html

It would appear that Chinkapins burrs form in small grapelike clusters,
whereas the Japanese Chestnut burrs will form in groups of 3 or so. the
Japanese form's burrs will also form interlocking patterns of hairs
(http://www.mindspring.com/%7Epsisco/...vs_Jap_Bur.jpg) (japanese burr
on right)

Dave

"Retiredff" wrote in message
link.net...
After getting confirmation from the forester who works with our extension
service that a tree in the woods in front of my house is not an American
Chestnut, we are down to two choices. Those are 1) Allegheny Chinkapin
(castanea pumila) or 2) Japanese Chestnut (Castanea crenata???). Right

now,
we are leaning towards the Allegheny Chinkapin, based on description.

Their reference materials showed no pictures of the female flowers from

the
Japanese Chestnut, nor have I had any luck finding them on the web.

So, my question is this. Does anyone have any picture that shows the

female
flower of the Japanese Chestnut? Heck, even a detailed description might
help.

Thanks,
Larry