Old 30-05-2004, 05:04 PM
Jim Elbrecht

Default No blossoms- Peach tree

Steve wrote:

-snip-
Fifteen years is getting old for any peach, dwarf or otherwise. That
has nothing to do with the lack of bloom.
With few if any exceptions, peaches are self fertile. Even if they
were not, it wouldn't have anything to do with a lack of flowers.

That's good to know-- I thought it might have been a special cultivar.
I've gotten used to having just one peach tree & when it goes I'll
replace it with a single tree.

-snip-
You
must have had a cold spell last winter that was just a little over
the limit for your tree. Late frosts can cause a crop failure but a
late frost is one that kills the flowers after they open (or just
before). Since you saw no flowers at all, I would think about what
happened back in January.

Bingo! One week in January we had 13, 9, 8 degree below zero
nights with highs below zero, too.

Thanks. The tree looks otherwise so healthy, I won't be peach tree
shopping for a bit. But I will miss the 1/2 dozen peaches the
squirrels let me eat.

Jim