Old 30-05-2004, 06:04 PM
paghat

Default Squirrel is destroying cukes

In article , "limey" wrote:

"'enry VIII" wrote in message

Plant some extra plants for the squirrel to eat, put seed and nuts out for
him to eat.

Kindness works better than trying to kill.

'enry VIII

And I guarantee he'll bring all his relatives and friends to the next party.
We're overrun with them.

Dora

Squirrels are highly territorial. They patrol territories in mated pairs,
& will kill even their own offspring if at adolescence their young do not
leave to establish their own territory elsewhere. Multiples of squirrel
couples & single adolescents will occasionally share an overlapping area
of extreme resources (a section of beech forest, a part of an orchard, a
university campus with hundreds of students providing lunchtime hand-outs)
but the average squirrel population in any normal five-acre area of
woodland or neighborhood will in general never exceed two for any length
of time. It's rare that any of them are so destructive they cannot be
enjoyed. The exceptions may require permanent removal, though as soon as
the territory is vacated, an adolescent in search of his or her own
territory will move in, & eventually have a mate with whom to patrol &
harrass interloping squirrels.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"