Old 30-05-2004, 06:05 PM
Steve

Default Cicada problems??

Media hype is a fact of life. They have had stories about the 17
year cicadas on the local new and we don't even have them this far
north!
They have been in the news more, this year, because this the year
when the biggest brood, brood X (ten) hatches out. For those not
familiar with the broods, I just searched for and found maps:
http://members.fortunecity.com/cicadaman1999/id47.htm
Scroll down to brood X and you will see they occur over a bigger
area than the other year classes. If you are not in that range, you
will not see any 17 year cicadas this year.

Steve

Bob S. wrote:
In the Spring the media played up the coming swarm of cicadas(17 year
locusts), particularly in the Ohio River basin of the USA. Has the
hatch been as bad as predicted? Have they caused any damage to your
gardens or to any pets from eating them? Or was the media hype a
bust?

Bob S.