Old 30-05-2004, 07:03 PM
Retiredff

Default Japanese chestnut ID

Mike LaMana wrote:
Chinquapin seeds are almost like glorified beech seeds...pretty darned
small.

If memory serves, look with a hand lens for the presence/absence of
small, stellate hairs on the underside of the leaf. If there the tree
is likely Jap chestnut. Also, chinquapin has much more narrow,
dentate, almost yellowish leaves in comparison to the Jap. chestnut.

That helps. I looked for hairs the other day, and saw none. Never even
thought to pick up a magnifying glass. With it, I still saw no hairs.

It's a shame that the pages that show the various leaves side-by-side did
not have a ruler in the picture. The largest I found on my tree was 6 1/4".
If that chinkapin (apparently two different ways to spell it) leaf is close
to that size, then the chestnut leaves are huge.

Thanks