Old 30-05-2004, 08:04 PM
Katra

Default Dog feces in compost?

In article ,
"Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat" wrote:

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Brigitte J. wrote:
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is dog poop OK in the compost

bin?

Thanks,
Brigitte

Sure, in small amounts in a hot bin or an active worm pile.

I wouldn't put large amounts in a cold compost pile or directly in a
vegetable garden.

I can't cite a reference, but I've read in several places that dog and
cat waste can carry disease and should not be used in a garden. But it
won't last very long in a working compost bin (even human waste can be
used in a garden if it's from a properly designed composting toilet.)

Bob

Hot composting is the key...
Predator poop is going to be higher in nitrogen than herbivore poop,
so can be useful but it really needs to be completely composted to kill
possible pathogenic bacteria.

Interesting. So would one assume that poop from veggie dogs would be ok ? My
three are veggies, healthy, wormed reguarly, given regular shots, etc. and
only I and my bf (and the dogs) will eat from my garden, which has to be
said, is mostly flowers, but this year with some sunflowers, tomatoes and
peppers, plus a few herbs.

As long as your dogs are getting enough protien... :-)
The protien requirements of predators like dogs are higher than that of
herbivours, so the feces should be higher in nitrogen since that is a
waste product of a high protein diet.

As for safety, more folks are concerned about possible pathogens that
dogs may carry in their poop, including parasites. Most dog parasites
tho' are not communicable to humans.

My composting is not up to stratch yet (waiting for my big composting bin to
arrive as I haven't the space or area for a heap) but I am always hoping to
use all that cack I get from my three for *something* !

I know the feeling! grins

K.

Rachael

--