Old 30-05-2004, 10:06 PM
Katra

Default Old Seeds

In article ,
Joe Williamson wrote:

On Sun, 30 May 2004 15:59:55 +0000, fitwell wrote:

...I remember as a teenager finding out that some of
seeds put in with the pharaohs still sprouted after a few millenia.

I have read that this story is one of those folktales or urban legends or
whatever they might be called. I know that frozen seeds can last that
long, but I am unaware of a seed of an ordinary plant remaining viable for
that long when not frozen.

Some of the beans from the Aztec burial mounds have grown, they were
about 2,000 years old. But, beans are kinda tough. ;-) None of the corn
sprouted. Or so the legend said that came with these seeds...

I have some large beans that look like scarlet runners, only MUCH
larger, that are supposed to be descendants of that line. They are
different from any other bean I've grown. :-)

I've asked 'Lou to re-send me the "legend" that she sent me with the
beans, and I'll post it as soon as she e-mails me.

They are lovely, but I've just been growing them for seed the past
couple of years. I've not eaten any yet. Average size of the beans are
about 1" x 1/2" and they are about 1/4" thick in the center.

They are HUGE!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...