Old 30-05-2004, 11:10 PM
Brian

Default Mole hunt

"Stan The Man" wrote in message
All I see is molehills but I've never seen a mole. Anyone know the best
time to go out on patrol?

Simon

Moles probably/possibly never go walking. They are far too busy searching
for worms a few inches below the surface. They have eyes but these are quite
ineffective other than for recognising light and dark.
The only moles I've ever seen above ground were either dead or moribund,
other than the very few I managed to surprise and dig out~~and that requires
unlimited patience.
The only exception I've ever known was a few years ago, on very heavily
manured recently cultivated ground, when loud squeaking could be heard below
the surface. A pair of moles were dug out with one stroke of the spade and
continued to fight and roll about on the surface.
There was a witness, or I would have even doubted myself!!.
Best Wishes Brian.