Old 31-05-2004, 01:06 AM
escapee

Default Does Anyone have a recipe for compost tea?

With all due respect, this is an old way of making compost tea, and is
anaerobic. Aerobic tea can do some level of damage to healthy soils. The
latest way of brewing compost tea is to use the same method as before, but the
addition of air being pumped into the water to make what's now known as aerobic
tea. The biota which is found in aerobic tea is superior to those found in
anaerobic teas.

On Sun, 30 May 2004 20:49:19 GMT, gary davis opined:

On 5/22/04 1:04 PM, in article , "Noman"
wrote:

I've never used compost tea before, but I now have a compost pile, and I'd
like to use compost tea on my vegetables, roses, and others. I'll probably
make it in five gallon buckets. Anyone have experience "growin' their own?"

There must be many ways to make 'tea' for a garden. My way is to get
some fresh manure or aged (chicken, horse, pig, rabbit etc). Put it in a
porous bag tied closed with string (I use the string from hay bales. It is
cheap and tough...). Insert this bag in a garbage pail and fill with
water...you will want a tight lid as it could/will have a 'farm fresh'
scent...(smell). Leave the end of the string, tying the bag closed, sticking
out of the can so you can lift it out should you want to.
This tea will be very strong so you will want to dilute it before using.
Fill up a watering can about 3/4 full and top up with the tea. Be careful
not to make it too strong as it could burn some plants. Then pour away...
The reason for the bag is to keep the tea a consommé...so small
particles don't clog your watering can.
Source of porous bag??? Polyester, usually white. Burlap sacks rot in a
short time so they are out. Try your local farmer. Horse feed and some pet
feeds come in these bags. Also, I have seen rice in them and maybe other dry
goods at some grocery stores. Also you could check out some local
restaurants, they may receive 'stuff' in this kind of bag.
I live in horse country so I have lots available. Don't know where you
live but gave a few ideas for sourcing. Good luck.
Gary
Fort Langley, BC
Canada

To reply please remove...yoursocks...

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend?