Old 31-05-2004, 02:08 AM
Douglas

Default pruning young pear trees

"jonperry" wrote in message
s.com...
jonperry wrote:
*Thanks for this Doug. As tumbleweed suggested - it is possible that
my trees are some strange type which might not be amenable to pruning
in the way you've suggested. Just for my piece of mind would you have
a look at these pictures of the trees (not brilliant quality I'm
afraid) and let me know if your advice still stands.
http://tinyurl.com/2xu9q Cheers
Jon *

**************************
Yup!- I've seen your pictures, Jon. They are the typical shape of the
Bolero type fruit trees, - that's for sure. Bolero type fruit trees , (No
branches, - just one single vertical bole (the trunk) and that trunk
supporting fruit all the way up it). No pruning needed If I remember
rightly.
I've had a few bolero type apple trees up here in the north west and a
couple in my daughters house in Kent which I planted. All failed after
about three years but don't panic!, - I was very busy then with other things
and mine probably failed because of neglect and the Kent ones probably
failed because my daughter went to Dubai and rented the house and the renter
didn't have a clue. The garden went to pot.
I have never had Boleros bearing pears, so cannot comment on them.
I have an ordinary Diyenne and a Bon Cretien. they are seven feet tall and
about 13 years old, and both do well though they have decided to have a rest
this year. Most fruit trees do that, you know. I am not conscious of their
fertilty habits, I have never looked it up, but they stand a yard and a half
apart so they may be doing a bit of courting when I am not looking!.
BTW, - most of my previous pruning diatribe mainly applies to plum trees, -
they in particular are at present sending up the shoots to which I referred
and which I have pruned back to two nodes.
If you fancy plums include also a greengage, I have one called Denistoun
Superb, - it is grafted on to a Pixy rootstock and it's eight years old
and has just tentatively started to fruit a wee bit. The gage fruit is right
out of this world for taste and texture. It is voluptuous in all aspects, is
about six feet tall, and has about twenty young fruits on its boughs at
present
Had another thought about your Boleros. Pehaps they are not old enough to
fruit yet. Do you know how long they've been in?.
They look about two or three years old.
All best!
Doug.