Old 31-05-2004, 02:09 AM
Janet Baraclough..

Default My slugs are nuts

The message
from Gwenhyffar Milgi contains these words:

How much spinach did you plant?

4 rows, tightly spaced, a whole packet full. They got them just as
soon as leaves started appearing. Now I have 3 plants left with I've
just left, as it seems to distract the slugs from other plants, and
they're about to bloom at the moment.

If you grow spinach tight-spaced very close together like that, you're
making a moist green shelter from sun and predators, which is just the
thing to attract slugs. Also,crowding in their early life could be the
reason your spinach has bolted into flower so soon.

You might do better if you sow a single row, thinly, with a good space
either side of the row, and as soon as possible thin out the plants to
6" apart (don't bother replanting the ones you pull out, the stress will
make them bolt).

Janet