Old 31-05-2004, 03:03 AM
Phisherman

Default Squirrel is destroying cukes

On Sun, 30 May 2004 19:48:23 GMT, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

(paghat) wrote:

-snip-
Squirrels are highly territorial.

The most common squirrel in my part of the world [upstate NY] is the
Eastern Grey. These buggers are gregarious if the food supply will
support them.

A good description of these critters is at
http://spot.colorado.edu/~halloran/sq_grey.html

This article states that the grey squirrel is non-territorial. And
I'm 99% sure I have a grey-squirrel issue. My current plan is to
trap and relocate them.

When I bought this house the neighbors were an elderly couple who
bought huge bags of old bread to feed the squirrels. Their feeder
looked like something out of a Hitchcock movie -- 50-60 squirrels is
no exaggeration.

Fox & reds are less common here [NY], and they don't like to share
with the greys.

If I planted an entire orchard of nuts and did nothing to decrease the
squirrel population, I would get to see a lot of squirrels, but would
never have any nuts. As it is I enjoy some of my harvest, and
frequent dinners of 'Squirrel spaghetti' -- the sauce does wonders for
tenderizing their otherwise rather tough meat.

Jim