Old 31-05-2004, 08:03 AM
Glenna Rose

Default Turf grass as compost?

writes:
I have recently returned to gardening after a long hiatus. The plot I'm
using now is too small to justify my buying a tiller, so I'm turning it
over with a shovel and breaking it up with a hand cultivator.

My question relates to what to do with the weeds and grass turf that was
there when it was merely part of the back yard. I would assume that most
any plant is taking nutrients from the soil and concentrating them in its
tissues. I would also assume that if I removed the soil from these plants
and tossed them away, I would be losing a certain amount of nutrients that
had been in the soil.

I am tempted, during this first year, simply to turn over a deep
shovel-full of earth, break up the soil that was underneath the turf, and
leave the grass and weeds that were formerly face-up to the sun to rot
under the overturned earth. This way the soil would retain whatever
nutrients they possessed.

At least, that's the theory. Can anybody tell me if this is actually a
good idea? Or should I go ahead and shake all the soil out of the turf
layer and just get rid of the plant part? I have most of my garden
planted and already doing well, but I do have a bit more earth to break up
for some later crops.

Just toss it in a compost bin (or even a pile) and nature will take care
of it. As the instructor of our composting class said, "Compost happens."
You can turn it under as you described and that will work fine as well.
Be aware that you will be pulling up weeds so plan to get them early so
they are easier to pull, and do it after a good soaking or a heavy rain
storm when the roots will better completely release their hold.

A good way to separate the greenery from the dirt is to work it through a
piece of hardware cloth. Another way is to beat it against the tines of a
garden rake (a rake head without a handle is great for this!). A few
weeks ago, I cut off the sod from part of my front yard and put it under
my evergreen magnolia tree where it was only dirt. Now, I'm in the
process, between other things, of sifting all the dirt there through
hardware cloth. The weeds, whatever, go in the compost bin (what I didn't
put in the bottom of potato barrels where the worms will have their way
with them).

The most important thing is to just do it and use your experience to
discover what works best for your situation. We often say, "Your mileage
may vary," which is so very true.

Happy gardening!

Glenna
who has handled it both ways mentioned