Old 31-05-2004, 09:04 AM
torgo

Default Deep Watering

On 30 May 2004 14:13:52 GMT, ojunk (Bethgsd) wrote:

We just had statewide watering restrictions go into effect on
Wednesday, so now watering is only allowed on three specific days per
week.

Put a bucket or two in the tub when you shower and use that water to water the
roses. You can also reuse dishwater for the same purpose.

Beth

The new restrictions aren't that big a deal, other than the fact that
they were proposed and implemented so quickly. We had been in drought
and on odd / even day restrictions for several years. The
restrictions were lifted in January with the announcement that the
drought was over and the reservoirs full.

I decided that with water plentiful (my county even had to release
water from the largest reservoir this spring as a precaution against
flooding) this would be the best year in over a decade for nurturing
fledgling plants and vines through the summer heat. So I stocked up -
about a truckload of hosta, blackberries, grapes, raspberries,
buddleia, asiatic lilies, gladiola, boysenberries, blueberries,
gooseberries, miscellaneous small perennials, and close to 50 rose
bushes.

Then last Tuesday the story came out that the state dept of natural
resources would discuss the possibility of statewide watering
restrictions. And they not only discussed it, but put it into effect
the very next day.

With so many plants involved, a bucket or two of gray water really
won't accomplish much. So I'll deep water the roses twice a week,
regularly water the baby fruit vines three times a week, and simply
hope for the best.

If that bombs out, I'll give up on the vines, keep the blueberries and
about half of the established roses, and start trading the rest of the
roses for daylilies...