Old 31-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Mike LaMana

Default Before removing old trees

Here here John!! Good post.

I would just add that older trees ought to be thoroughly assessed for
failure risk by a qualified arborist / tree biologist, and not not merely
for need of pruning. Latent decay, poor root structure, etc. can often sneak
up on a homeowner in the guise of a tree with a healthy canopy.

Also, I would encourage folks to replace like-with-like. A thunder cloud
plum or weeping cherry is not a adequate replacement for a 90' oak or
tuliptree! Years of this sort of replacement leave behind streets that look
like most of New York City. I fault landscapers as much as their customers
for not taking the steps needed to preserve urban forest integrity and
local -sense-of-place.

Off the soapbox...

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

"John A. Keslick, Jr." wrote in message
Before older trees are removed, new trees should be planted if space is
available. The older tree should be pruned to keep it safe. If the tree

is
growing in a low risk area, and if it is being used by wildlife, it should
not be removed. Always consider wildlife when making decisions on

removal.
Always try to convince a customer that it is best to plant some new trees
before the old tree is removed.

--
My name is John A. Keslick, Jr. and I am from the Philadelphia area. I am

TREE BIOLOGIST and a WRITER. I would like to become involved in
Environmental, Forest Health and Tree Biology links and issues. I have

some
links which you may enjoy that I can offer.

---------------------------------------LINKS---------------------
TECHNO TREE BIOLOGY DICTIONARY online at
http://www.treedictionary.com

Articles written by DR. ALEX L. SHIGO, one of the foremost authorities
worldwide on tree systems today online at
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman/SHIGO

Announcing the release of a 2-CD set by DR. SHIGO
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman/CDS1.html

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Tree Biologist
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!

About me - Some of my educational activities I have enjoyed are here
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman/educat.html