Old 31-05-2004, 12:03 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default Old Seeds

Don B said:

Hello everyone
This is my second year working on my little garden (4x8), and I still have
some seeds from last year. My question is should I plant using the old
seeds, or purchase new ones?

Parsnip seeds absolutely should be fresh. Onion seeds are much better fresh.
Most other seeds are good for at least two years. Very old seed will have a lower
germination rate and sometimes the seedlings are weak and puny.

LONGEVITY OF VEGETABLE SEED (from an old 4-H pamphlet)

1 YEAR: onion, parsnips

2 YEARS: sweet corn

3 YEARS: beans, carrots, peas

4 YEARS: beets, cabbage, pumpkins, squash. tomatoes, turnips

5 OR MORE YEARS: cress, cucumbers, lettuce, radishes

(attributed to Don Marti)