Old 31-05-2004, 01:03 PM
Frogleg

Default Useless Tomato Seedlings?

On Sun, 30 May 2004 09:00:26 -0400, David Kotschessa
wrote:

I just wondered if I could keep them alive for next
year since, from what I have heard, I won't get them to produce this year.
Just kind of keep them on the respirator so to speak..

Tomatoes are an annual in temperate climates. That is, where summer
and winter are roughly the same length and freezing temperatures or
below in winter are the norm. So if you start tomatoes from seed, you
can expect the plants to grow, produce tomatoes, and die in one
growing season -- that is, from last frost to first frost. Your plants
won't produce this year not because they are small, but because you
didn't plant them and let them grow. As I and others have said,
depending on the length of the growing season where you are, you may
get tomatoes if you plant them now. Keeping tomato seedlings indoors
for a year may be possible, but not practical or particularly useful.