Old 31-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Roy

Default Squirrel is destroying cukes

On Mon, 31 May 2004 01:38:52 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

===On Sun, 30 May 2004 19:48:23 GMT, Jim Elbrecht
===wrote:
===
(paghat) wrote:
===
===
===-snip-
===Squirrels are highly territorial.
===
===The most common squirrel in my part of the world [upstate NY] is the
===Eastern Grey. These buggers are gregarious if the food supply will
===support them.
===
===A good description of these critters is at
===http://spot.colorado.edu/~halloran/sq_grey.html
===
===
===This article states that the grey squirrel is non-territorial. And
===I'm 99% sure I have a grey-squirrel issue. My current plan is to
===trap and relocate them.
===
===When I bought this house the neighbors were an elderly couple who
===bought huge bags of old bread to feed the squirrels. Their feeder
===looked like something out of a Hitchcock movie -- 50-60 squirrels is
===no exaggeration.
===
===Fox & reds are less common here [NY], and they don't like to share
===with the greys.
===
===If I planted an entire orchard of nuts and did nothing to decrease the
===squirrel population, I would get to see a lot of squirrels, but would
===never have any nuts. As it is I enjoy some of my harvest, and
===frequent dinners of 'Squirrel spaghetti' -- the sauce does wonders for
===tenderizing their otherwise rather tough meat.
===
===Jim

With as many grey squirrels as I have it woulld be hard for them to be
territorial, unless each claimed a tree as their sole territory. I
also have a mix of Fox squirrels with the greys as well, so they do
get along for the most part. I basically declared war on the greys,
and since the Fox is in much lower numbers as compared to the grey, I
do not eliminate them, as they do not seem to create as much damage as
the greys do.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.