Old 31-05-2004, 04:11 PM
Brian

Default Mole hunt

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 May 2004 22:47:43 +0100, "Brian"
wrote:

"Stan The Man" wrote in message
All I see is molehills but I've never seen a mole. Anyone know the best
time to go out on patrol?

Simon

Moles probably/possibly never go walking. They are far too busy

searching
for worms a few inches below the surface. They have eyes but these are

quite
ineffective other than for recognising light and dark.
The only moles I've ever seen above ground were either dead or

moribund,
other than the very few I managed to surprise and dig out~~and that

requires
unlimited patience.
The only exception I've ever known was a few years ago, on very

heavily
manured recently cultivated ground, when loud squeaking could be heard

below
the surface. A pair of moles were dug out with one stroke of the spade

and
continued to fight and roll about on the surface.
There was a witness, or I would have even doubted myself!!.

Speaking of which, I've got a mole in veg patch!

What're the chances that it'll just bugger off with all the digging
that's going on?
It's unlikely I'll be able to set a trap - the soil is much too
friable with all the manure that's been added, so it's hard to dig out
a section of a run without the whole lot caving in.

What's the "Panel's" view on setting a 'honey trap' - a nice patch of
slightly compressed soil with a board placed over it which can be
lifted to expose a run?
Given that the mole has made a bee-line for every bed I've dug so far,
this might provide me with a means to catch the bleeder?

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Heavily manured, freshly worked, ground is paradise for both worms and
moles. There is no better 'come on'! As you say, runs are difficult to
locate and collapse too readily. However traps set in a collapsed run can
get results as they are not surprised by such cave-ins.
I dislike killing moles and so manure and till some weeks before planting~
by which time they have usually moved on. Another advantage of this process
is that we can 'flame off' the surface and get at weeds just germinating. It
works well but does need the space and time available.
We tend to ask for trouble, as the manuring [horse] is at 100 tons per
acre, applied early April/ May, for planting 14th June with a pH raised to
eight. This is for Anemones De Caen 2-3cms[circum.] They take two weeks to
emerge and the soil is again 'flamed' after the first week. Moles by then
tend to be little problem.
The next year, having ploughed in the Anemones, produces flowers and
vegetables of enviable quality.
I wouldn't be too bothered~~ they tend to disturb rather than destroy.
Best Wishes. Brian