Old 31-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Roy A. Fletcher

Default Missing fish in pond

Kayla ) wrote:
with editing...
: We have a large pond and have 3 generations of fish which we feed
: daily. Last year 10 surfaced in the spring and we assumed they died
: of lack of air so this winter we made sure that air holes in the ice
: were kept open. This year we have not seen one fish. NONE!! There
: were about 200 fish last year. The neighbour put in a few bass one
: year and they have multiplied over the years. How could that many
: fish disappear without a trace? Would a snapping turtle clean out a
: pond? The pond is about 50 x 100 feet. We are completely puzzled.

Don't know where Wightman, Ont. is but on the west coast here,
river otters would easily clean out 200 fish in a week.
Breaking ice would give them access to the water when all other
ponds in the vicinity were frozen over.
These little critters move over land when it is dark and can
be gone by the morning, and rarely ever get noticed.

Regards. RAF