Old 31-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Kira Dirlik

Default butterfly bushes

The leaves on several of my butterfly bushes are yellow spotted
and shriveling. Is this a disease or an insect problem? One big
old bush is almost ready to croak. Should I cut it back to the
ground again?
Thanks for any and all advice.
Jenny

Please keep us posted. This sounds like my "mystery killer". I had
2 healthy, big, beautiful butterfly bushes for about 3 years and then
the same as you describe happened. I sprayed them with Raid, and that
seemed to allow new, "clean" leaves to appear. The next year they
were worse, and then the next year, NOTHING would clear up the problem
and the bushes completely died.
This disease or bug hits a LOT of things on my land, both native, and
things I plant.
I would also just love to know what the cause is and how to treat it.
Hits my veggies, too... especially beans.
Kira