Old 31-05-2004, 07:08 PM
rob

Default PH Problem

I was pretty sure salt would not affect pH ..... just didn't know what did.

The tap water I used for the pond has a reading of 8.6 maybe 8.8 since I am
extrapolating. I do not know the hardness of the tap water. I'll use some
of the kitty litter from the pond and let it sit in the tap water and see
what happens.

Thanks,
Rob
wrote in message
salt doesnt affect pH.
what is the pH and hardness of the water out of the tap?
put a handful of the kitty litter into a gallon of water and check the pH

of that
after a couple hours.
Ingrid

"rob" wrote:
I just finished my new pond in the spring. EPDM liner, 12 x 10 x 4'6".

I added plants which are doing well and my kids wanted some fish. I want

put Koi in the pond.

I did some reading and realized that 0.1% salt in the pond was the first
thing to do since my PH was fine.

I added the salt up to 0.8% and noticed that my PH went through the roof.

have been adjusting the PH by adding Muriatic acid. The PH drops
temporarily and then begins to rise. When the PH reaches 8.2 or higher I
add more of the acid. Every day for the last week I have been doing

this.
What in my pond is causing the PH to continue to want to go high? I have

no
concrete and only plants with unscented kitty litter as the soil. In all
there is approximately 18 kgs of kitty litter.

Rob

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com