Old 31-05-2004, 09:06 PM
zxcvbob

Default Turf grass as compost?

Joe Williamson wrote:
I have recently returned to gardening after a long hiatus. The plot I'm
using now is too small to justify my buying a tiller, so I'm turning it
over with a shovel and breaking it up with a hand cultivator.

My question relates to what to do with the weeds and grass turf that was
there when it was merely part of the back yard. I would assume that most
any plant is taking nutrients from the soil and concentrating them in its
tissues. I would also assume that if I removed the soil from these plants
and tossed them away, I would be losing a certain amount of nutrients that
had been in the soil.

I am tempted, during this first year, simply to turn over a deep
shovel-full of earth, break up the soil that was underneath the turf, and
leave the grass and weeds that were formerly face-up to the sun to rot
under the overturned earth. This way the soil would retain whatever
nutrients they possessed.

At least, that's the theory. Can anybody tell me if this is actually a
good idea? Or should I go ahead and shake all the soil out of the turf
layer and just get rid of the plant part? I have most of my garden
planted and already doing well, but I do have a bit more earth to break up
for some later crops.

It depends on what kind of grass it is. If it's bermuda, God help you
if you turn it under and leave it...

If it's a small area, and if the soil is not overly compacted, I think I
would try spraying with Round-up, wait a few days, then transplant stuff
like tomatoes and peppers and zucchini in without disturbing it soil any
more than possible. Mulch with whatever organic matter you can get.
Next year, the grass will be gone, and you shouldn't have a lot of weed
problems this year because you didn't disturb the soil.

Bob