Old 31-05-2004, 09:09 PM
Joanne

Default Fern health risk ?

"Kev" wrote in message
While sat in the garden the other day, my father noticed a fern and warned
me that he has seen something on television stating that one or more types
were a risk to children's eyesight. Did anyone else see this or have an
opinion ?

Thanks

A Google search brings up some information on "the common Male Fern, often
known as Dryopteris Filix-mas (Linn.), and assigned by other botanists to
the genera Lastrea, Nephrodium and Polypodium," which also says that it has
various medicinal uses and it mentions that in too large doses it is an
irritant poison, causing muscular weakness and coma, and has been proved
particularly injurious to the eyesight, even causing blindness." I don't
know if that's what your're looking for.